The latest on Gaslamp Quarter news, specials, events & more
San Diego is proud to be the home of the world's largest comic book and popular arts convention. Each year, Comic-Con International takes over the San Diego Convention Center and a wave of comic and graphic arts enthusiasts, cosplayers, and fan boys and girls flow into the Gaslamp Quarter, East Village, Uptown and beyond. Gaslamp's Geekdom here in the Gaslamp Quarter are already plotting for next year's nerd-tastic extravaganza, so be sure to mark your calendars for July 24 - 27, 2014 (Preview Night on July 23)!
As San Diego’s largest convention, Comic-Con International has truly been embraced by the community – and not just in terms of comics and pop culture, but also by local businesses and residents. The Gaslamp Quarter and its businesses play host to a number of public and private off-site events and promotions during Comic-Con. Many Gaslamp Quarter restaurants, retailers and entertainment venues offer specials and deals throughout the week, making the district an ideal spot to partake in the festivities with or without a badge.
• Google Map of Gaslamp SDCC Off-Site Events (mobile-friendly)
• Google Map of Gaslamp Quick Service/Grab-n-Go/Delivery Dining Options (mobile friendly)
• Gaslamp EZPrint Map - Map and business listings for the neighborhood
• Gaslamp Area Parking Articles - Read details on the ins & outs of parking downtown from our Gaslamp Inside
• Gaslamp Area EZPrint Parking Map - Print this up in advance and bring it with you
• Enjoy two free hours of Wi-Fi available in all public spaces of the Gaslamp Quarter on your Wi-Fi enabled devices, brought to you by Wi-Fi Media Services. Just look for the "FREE WIFI SAN DIEGO" network. Learn more at: Free Wi-Fi San Diego
• Public transportation is strongly encouraged and our transit system has a great Park & Ride program. You can leave the car and just ride the trolley in.
• If you won't be staying in one of our fine hotels and you plan on commuting by car to and from Downtown, we suggest you access the Gaslamp Quarter and the Convention Center from the north. The majority of good parking resources hover north of Broadway, so it is easier to park and then descend into the festivities. The Gaslamp Quarter makes a nice pit-stop on the way into the Con and again on the way out. It will be easier to leave at the end of the day and avoid the snarl of traffic towards the south end.
• Heavy vehicular and pedestrian traffic is expected throughout Downtown, so if you must drive, tune into radio station AM 1660 on event days, for traffic and parking updates.
• The Convention Center garage and most lots close to the building are pre-sold and most likely sold out. Plan ahead and check out our Tips on Parking in the Gaslamp Area for specifics and print up out our parking maps to help you navigate.
• Use either F Street (westbound) or G Street (eastbound) for drop-offs. They have the much less traffic than Harbor Drive and the best escape routes back to the freeways.
• Snag patio seating in the Gaslamp Quarter anywhere you can. The next best thing to being inside the really big show is watching the massive stream of unique fans in cosplay roll by.
• This is a no-brainer (and we're not talking zombies here) - social media is your best tool while navigating the halls, panels, off-site events and San Diego as a whole during Comic-Con - particularly Twitter. Save the #SDCC and #ComicCon hashtags for the latest chatter on what's going on. And of course, follow the Gaslamp Quarter on Twitter for updates on Gaslamp happenings - everything from off-site events to SDCC-themed menus and specials.
• If you've been waiting for a perfect time to try VIP bottle service in one of our swanky nightclubs - this is it. You never know who will show up at the table beside you. Celebrities enjoy the event and the related parties in Gaslamp just as much as we do.
• Plan a place to meet somewhere in the Gaslamp Quarter to collect members of your party in case you’re separated on the Con Expo Floor (a very real possibility). You don't want to wait for them in some hallway or on the side of the road with all your cool new stuff (and don't count on your cell phone as the carriers could get overloaded). Wait for them where nice people are fetching you hot food and cool beverages. We have 150+ comfy places to kick back and wait or another 50+ locations to go have some fun in the meanwhile.
• We have a nice collection of hotels that will keep you in the thick of the action and save you time and taxi fees in 2014. Start at our lodging page and note that each of these locations are nearby, adjacent or directly in the Gaslamp.
ctivities. Feel free to call us in advance for local assistance.