The San Diego Union-Tribune Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade presented by VCA Market Street Animal Hospital
December 11, 2016 | 401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101
Deck those paws with bells so jolly and jingle all the way through the Gaslamp Quarter for The San Diego Union-Tribune Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade presented by VCA Market Street Animal Hospital. Pet owners and their furry, feathered, and scaled companions are invited to don their favorite costumes for this jolly promenade and pet expo on Sunday, December 11, 2016, at MLK Promenade Park, adjacent to the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter (401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101).
Entry to participate in the Pet Parade is just $15 in advance per pet, $20 on the day of the event. Register now at: www.holidaypetparade.com.
Day-of registration and check-in will begin at 12:30pm. Guests are encouraged to register in advance as space in the Parade is limited and will fill up fast.
The Pet Parade steps off promptly at 3:00PM from MLK Promenade Park, proudly led by the official Grand Marshals, Ozzie and Ferra the Chihuahuas (Handler: Corey Dobbs). The parade route continues up 4th Ave to E Street and then down 5th Ave ending under the iconic Gaslamp Quarter Archway. Festively-attired critters compete for bragging rights and prizes in various contest categories. The tinseled procession then returns to MLK Promenade Park, where participants may explore the Pet Expo – free and open to the public from 1:00PM to 5:00PM – registered guests can then pick up their complimentary goodie bag, filled with unique keepsakes, samples, toys and special discounts to some of the Gaslamp Quarter’s pet-friendly restaurants and shops. Guests will also get to enjoy live music and special pet presentations on the “Cat” walk stage. After and during the festivities pet lovers are welcome to enjoy “Yappy Meow-ers” (Happy Hours) at member businesses around the Gaslamp Quarter. (List of participating venues soon to come)
The best vantage points for the Pet Parade are along 4th & 5th Avenues between E and K Street from 3-3:45PM (arrive early to peruse the Pet Expo and guarantee a great spot to watch the parade).
Pet Parade Costume Categories
Contest Rules: Each entry is automatically eligible for a chance to win one of our Contest Categories. Winners will be selected and announced at the Pet Parade Awards Ceremony on the stage immediately following the Pet Parade at MLK Promenade Park. Judges’ decision is final. Must visit the judging panel between 1:00 – 2:30PM to be considered.
1. BEST UGLY HOLIDAY SWEATER – presented by Doozydog! Club- This category is open to pets and humans alike
Prizes for Each Category:
Highlights from the 2015 Event
Congratulations to Our 2015 Winners
- Best Pet Costume: Kindle the Australian Shepherd (Handler: Elle North Toyer)
- Best Pet Costume (non-canine): Ginger Ale and Chicka the Chickens (Handler: Michaelann Johnson)
- Best Costume – Duo: Baily the Yorkie and handler Mary Caraway dressed as Lion Tamers
- Best Costume Group: Lambchop J
- Best Pet Holiday Costume: Niner the French Bulldog (Handler: Julie Phan)
- Cutest Critter: Lunchbox the French Bulldog (Handler: Tiffiney Welles)
- Best Ugly Holiday Sweater: Luca and McKenzie the Cocker Spaniels (Handler: Scott Bowen)
- Best Pet Float: Cosmo and Betty the Pugs (in the plane) (Handler: Paula Fisher)
- Best of Show: Ozzie and Ferra the Chihuahuas (Star Wars Themed) (Handler: Corey Dobbs)
For more information on the Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade, contact the Gaslamp Quarter Association at 619-233-5227 or email@example.com.
*Jolly pets welcome. No livestock allowed in parade.