The Gaslamp Quarter Staff had the pleasure of dining at the rebooted Don Chido now called Volcano Rabbit! Named after a real animal — the world’s second-smallest rabbit native to Mexico — the restaurant has a delicious all-new menu and bar program that positions it as a fresh addition to the Gaslamp foodie scene.
The traditional Mexican hacienda has both playful and elegant touches. Its menu revolves around tacos and fresh invigorating ingredients from Executive Chef Andre Alto.
What We Enjoyed:
- Sherry and I started off with the Shrimp Taquitos that was Mexican shrimp wrapped in a crisp corn tortilla, chipotle lime crema, tajin, pineapple and cilantro
- Then we shared the delicious Jicama Shrimp salad. The salad had perfectly grilled shrimp, chili pickled jicama, cabbage, spinach, black beans, avocado, red onion, cucumber, cherry tomato, and drizzled with a chipotle vinaigrette.
- Next the tacos! We tried the Seared Ahi, Carne Asada, Sticky Beef Short Rib, and the Chili Rubbed Octopus tacos!
- The Seared Ahi Taco complete with rare tuna, furikake, sesame seaweed, pickled ginger aioli, purple cabbage, and ancho mango sauce all on a corn tortilla was so fresh and delicious.
- The Carne Asada Taco was out of this world! The tender, marinated skirt steak melted in our mouths! The taco also had a rich black garlic aioli sauce, queso a la plancha, crispy fried yam & onion with a lime jalapeno chimichurri.
- We couldn’t pass up the Sticky Beef Short Rib Taco with delectable sticky sauce, pickled onions & carrots, cucumber, daikon radish, napa cabbage and crushed peanuts.
- Or the Chili Rubbed Octopus Taco complete with braised and charred octopus, spicy mayo, red onion, and pineapple….Yum!
- Look for the deluxe special taco each month! Priced at $20, the over-the-top options will include baked lobster with katafi, poached quail egg, citrus aioli and sturgeon caviar; sea scallop with arancini cake, lemon coulis, crispy yam and bacon pop rock; and beef cheek with brioche toast, foie gras, marrow butter and mascarpone sauce.
- Bringing the party is a menu of agave spirits menu that offers more than 175 selections from around the globe. Beyond craft cocktails, margarita variations and large-format drinks, the bar also has a bottle service program that includes a “mix-and-match” mini-bottle option which gives guests the choice of three mini spirits bottles from more than 30 options. And serious tequila collectors can even have their own tequila locker on-site, with memberships including discounted bottle pricing.
- Don’t miss their Saturday and Sunday All You Can Eat Brunch for just $25 complete with fresh seafood, an omelet bar, pastries and tacos! You can also enjoy bottomless bloody mary and mimosas for just $20!
- Volcano Rabbit will also host DJs every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
- “Socialize ferociously” with happy hour Monday-Friday 3pm-6pm, Taco Tuesdays, Bold Thursdays to jump start your weekend, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch and evening fun!
So what are you waiting for?! Visit Volcano Rabbit now and try all the delicious food yourself!
- Sun – Wed 11:00am – 12:00am
- Thur – Sat 11:00am – 2:00am
Location: 527 Fifth Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101