Start your summer celebration on Saturday, June 15th from 1 pm to 4 pm at the 25th annual Taste of Gaslamp, presented by Karl Strauss. Treat your taste buds to a delectable day of dining with over 35 of the Gaslamp Quarter’s most notable bars and restaurants who will be serving up their best specialties to wow your senses! Take the Taste of Gaslamp straight to your home with Café Sevilla’s recipe for their featured dish, Paella Valenciana!
Satisfying guests with the vibrant tastes of Spain, Café Sevilla is located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter and perfect for anyone looking for an authentic Spanish-style home cooked meal. At this year’s Taste of Gaslamp, the Spaniard culinary geniuses of Café Sevilla will showcase their most popular dish, the Paella Valenciana! Take a trip Spain without the airfare and try this mouthwatering dish at home with their exclusive recipe! Here is how to prepare this traditional 1,200-year-old Eastern Spanish dish!
Directions: (Recipe courtesy of Café Sevilla)
- Heat ½ tablespoon of Olive Oil in paella pan over medium heat. Sauté 2 oz of Riojano Sausage, 2 oz of Loganiza Sausage, and 2 oz of Morcilla Sausage until browned on all sides, remove from pan and reserve, cut into strips.
- In the same pan, sauté ¼ Spanish or white onions, ½ finely minced garlic clove, and a small pinch of Saffron Threads. Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Then, add ¼ chopped red Bell Peppers, ¼ chopped green Bell Peppers, 1 teaspoon of Salt, 1 teaspoon of Pepper, 1 teaspoon of Paprika, and 1 teaspoon of Bay Seasoning and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Fold in 7ounces of Bomba Rice and toss to coat the grains. Slowly pour in 14 ounces of Lobster stock and simmer for 10 minutes, slowly tilting pan so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid.
- Add 2 ounces of Roasted Chicken and 2 ounces of Chorizo Riojano. Add in 4 Clams, 4 Scallops (1/2 shell), 4 Green Mussels, 4 Black Mussels, 5 medium Shrimp, and 3 ounces of Calamari. Tuck each piece delicately into the rice. The seafood will take about 8 minutes to cook.
- Continue to let the Paella simmer, without stirring until the rice is al dente, about 15 minutes. When the Paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat to high for about one minute until you can slightly smell the rice toast at the bottom.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with sweet peas, 3 ounces of Piquillo Peppers, and lemon wedges.
Grab your friends and family and indulge in this appetizing tasting tour filled with delicious samples of food from the best Gaslamp Quarter restaurant and bars. General Admission tickets start at just $35 and go up to $45 the day of the event. Enhance your tasting experience and go VIP for just $65 and $75 the day of the event. VIP includes access to an additional 10 VIP restaurants serving a large bite and cocktail, 3 tastings at the Karl Strauss Beer Garden (21+ only), entry to the exclusive VIP after party at Horton Grand Hotel, VIP Gaslamp Goodie Bag filled with giveaways! For more information or to purchase tickets, visit tasteofgaslamp.com.