Rendezvous, nestled inside THE US GRANT hotel, is a craft cocktail experience everyone should try. Paying homage to the bar that existed there 90 years ago during Prohibition called Rendezvous, The Wonder Bar, this beautiful venue has a French theme to its design, an elegant atmosphere and a sophisticated craft cocktail menu. The romantically lit, lounge-like space is filled with sofas and communal tables along with art from the masters and local artists.
When Sherry and I sat down in the French speakeasy lounge, we were greeted by a mixologist who concocted one of the most beautiful cocktails I have ever held in my hand. We were first brought two of their most popular cocktails, the Femme Fatal and Le Coq.
- The Femme Fatal is made with Blanche Armagnac, Dijon cassis, sparkling rose and citrus. This cocktail was served in a delicate martini glass and garnished with a sparkling diamond made of ice. Yes, their mixologists are also ice artists. Ice is made at the property and formed into special shapes that complement each cocktail.
- Le Coq was served in a highball glass featuring a heady blend of French thyme and rosemary liqueurs, La Fee absinthe Parisienne, Domaine Sante “All-Sass” Riesling nectar, and crémant de Loire. The theatrics of the cocktail were stunning. Not only was the highball glass crystal but a shimmering gold ribbon was neatly tied around the glass along with a red rooster feather and gold straw garnishing the cocktail. Normally the ice in the drink is a large block with blue, white and red stripes resembling the French flag, but their ice saw had lost one of its blades when we were there, so the ice in the drink did not have the color.
The other cocktails on the menu each have a distinctive theme, look and a specialized grouping of spirits. And get this, they are only $10-12 each! The ice artistry really sets this cocktail experience aside from any other. There is even a cocktail made with gin, Lillet Blanc, and yellow chartreuse, topped with an impressionist painting in ice hovering like magic in its foam!
Rendezvous is strictly a craft cocktail bar so not a lot of food is available. However, they do serve a beautiful nibbling plate with Chartreuse jam, Riesling-absinthe nector, calvados-infused apples, brandied berries, and gourmet cheeses.
- Enjoy live music on Friday and Saturday starting at 9:30PM
- Guests who would like to share spirits can choose unique punch bowls like “The Sword of Excalibur,” presented with a sword embedded in thick ice or an Absinthe fountain.
- Along the side of the venue is a hard to miss old safe that contains very exclusive curated spirits. Guests can enjoy clear spirits like vodkas and gins, Cognacs, Aged Grain Spirits, French Sippers, Warmer Climate Spirits, Calvados, or Armagnacs. The reason these spirits are kept in a safe is because they are not cheap. The Remy Martin Louis XIII is $240 for a 1.5oz pour!
- Rendezvous also has an extensive curated list of French wines, craft ciders and ales.