The Gaslamp Quarter has been the host to many top end dining experiences. Volcano Rabbit, located at 527 Fifth Avenue, has the look of a dazzling and rustic taqueria with downtown’s largest tequila selection and a menu with creative salads, tacos and appetizers. The eatery features south-of-the-border favorites as well as modern dishes with a chic imaginative flair.
GQA Staff Picks:
- Sherry and I started off with the creamy Queso Fundido made with melted manchego, jack, and sharp cheddar and topped with house chorizo, poblano peppers and served with homemade thick corn tortillas to dip into it.
- We sipped a colorful and beautifully garnished margarita flight with three different flavors: basil peach, strawberry pomegranate, and mango habanero.
- Sherry enjoyed 3 different tacos:
- Carne asada taco with marinated skirt steak, black garlic aioli, queso a la plancha, topped with crispy fried yams and onions, and drizzled with a lime jalapeno chimichurri on a flour tortilla
- Blackened lime shrimp taco with tender shrimp, chipotle yogurt, shaved white cabbage, radish, cotija cheese, tomatillo salsa, red onion and cilantro served on a corn tortilla
- Mushroom carnitas taco served with citrus braised king oyster mushrooms, fried jack cheese, cabbage, pickled red onion, and spicy aoli on a flour tortilla.
- All were tasty and complex in their flavor profiles, but her favorite was the mushroom carnitas taco.
- I had the beet and pepita salad complete with pickled red and golden beets, jicama, arugula, queso fresco, and crunchy pepita seeds dressed perfectly with a creamy lime, cilantro guacamole vinaigrette.
- Volcano Rabbit has over 200 different Tequilas, Mezcals, Comiteco and Raicilla spirits all curated specially by bartender and tequila enthusiast Marshal Emerson. Guests can get their very own personalized locker to store their tequila and spirits in while receiving half-off all their bottles along with invitations to exclusive events and tastings throughout the year.
- Every Tuesday starting at 3pm you can celebrate taco Tuesday with taco specials and ½ off their large tequila selection along with $5 drink specials all set to the beat of a live DJ.
- Host your next private party at Volcano Rabbit and enjoy private tequila tastings, and special food pairings.