11th Annual Vet + Pet West Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade
December 16, 2018 12PM – 5PM | 401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101
Deck those paws with bells so jolly and jingle all the way through the Gaslamp Quarter for The Vet + Pet West Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade. Pet owners and their furry, feathered, and scaled companions are invited to don their favorite costumes for this jolly promenade and Holiday Pet Market on Sunday, December 16, 2018, at MLK Promenade Park, adjacent to the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter (401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101).
Entry to participate in the Pet Parade is just $15 per pet in advance, and $20 on the day of the event. FREE for Spectators!
Day-of registration and check-in will begin at 11:30AM. Guests are encouraged to register in advance as space in the Parade is limited and will fill up fast. For more information, please visit www.holidaypetparade.com
The Pet Parade steps off promptly at 2:00 pm from under the iconic Gaslamp Quarter Archway, and continues up Fifth Avenue takes a left at E street and down Fourth Avenue ending at MLK Promenade Park, where contest winners will be announced and the Holiday Pet Market will continue! Festively-attired critters compete for bragging rights and prizes in fun costume contest categories. Dogs, cats, birds, and even fish are welcome to take part in this holly-jolly good time!
Registrants can be sure to grab a goodie bag full of fun samples, toys, coupons, and other gifts for your festive fur friends at the FREE Holiday Pet Market, open to the public from 12PM to 5PM with live music, presentations, and festive fun for all. Official viewing stations will be around the Gaslamp Quarter providing patios to view the pets on parade and specials to partake in.
The best vantage points for the Pet Parade are along 4th & 5th Avenues between E and K Street from 2PM – 3PM (arrive early to peruse the Holiday Pet Market and guarantee a great spot to watch the parade).
*Jolly pets welcome. No livestock allowed in parade.
Holiday Pet Market: 12PM – 5PM
Costume Contest Judging Panel: 12PM – 1:30PM
Parade kicks-off: 2PM
Register for Pet Parade:
Advanced Registration: $15 per pet | Day-of Registration: $20 per pet | Holiday Pet Market and Parade Viewing are FREE for Spectators!
Pet Parade Costume Categories:
Contest Rules: Each entry is automatically eligible for a chance to win one of our Contest Categories. Winners will be selected and announced at the Pet Parade Awards Ceremony on the stage immediately following the Pet Parade at MLK Promenade Park. Judges’ decision is final. Must visit the judging panel between 12:00PM – 1:30PM to be considered.
1. BEST UGLY HOLIDAY SWEATER – This category is open to pets and humans alike
2. CUTEST CRITTER – Self-Explanatory- This award is given to the pet deemed most aww-inspiring at the Pet Parade
3. BEST PET COSTUME – Awarded to the most all-around creative and elaborate pet costume. This award is for costumes of all types, whether it be festive, sports-themed, kooky or scary.
4. BEST PET COSTUME (NON-CANINE) – Awarded to the best all-around creative and elaborate non-canine pet costume
5. BEST PET HOLIDAY COSTUME – Awarded to the pet donning the most festive costume at the Pet Parade. All costumes are welcome at the Parade, but only those specifically celebrating the holidays are eligible to win this award.
6. BEST COSTUMED DUO – Awarded to the best costumed duo, whether pet-and-pet or pet-and-pet-owner
7. BEST COSTUMED GROUP (3 or more) – Awarded to the best costumed group of three or more in the Pet Parade. Get the whole family involved!
8. BEST FLOAT – Awarded to the most creative float that showcases their pet the best.
9.BEST IN SHOW – (opportunity to be Grand Marshall at next year’s event) – Awarded to the absolute show-stopping, best costume of the Pet Parade. This award is given to the best of the best, and the winner is invited to join us and lead at next year’s 12th Annual Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade!
Third Annual Greyfrairs Bobby Award:
GreyFriars Bobby was a Skye Terrier who became known in the 19th century Edinburgh for supposedly spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner, a service man until he died himself in 1872. San Diego’s sister city Edinburgh, Scotland gave the gift of a bronze statue of Greyfriars Bobby that sits in the historic foundation’s pocket park. Greyfriars Bobby symbolizes Loyalty, Service and Friendship. This year’s recipient of the award will be Ricochet!
Surf Dog Ricochet is an internationally renowned, award winning surf dog who has become an inspirational phenomenon, philanthropic role model, internet sensation, fundraising marvel, community advocate, goodwill ambassador, and muse to millions!
She has gone from service dog to SURFice dog® and back again! She is also a hero dog, dog of the year and therapy dog who lives a lifestyle of helping others by ‘pawing it forward’ while raising awareness & over $500,000 for human/animal causes.
Surf Dog Ricochet advocates for many human interest initiatives including anti-bullying, equality, animals, the disabled community, individuality, crisis situations, accepting others for who they are, adaptive surfing, cancer, childhood cancer and many more. Click here to learn more about Ricochet!
Parking is available at the 6th & K Parkade (289 Sixth Avenue) and Park It On Market (614 Fifth Avenue)!
6TH & K PARKADE
- $1 per hour 3AM – 6PM
- $5 Flat Rate 6PM – 3AM Sunday – Thursday
- $10 Flat Rate 6PM – 3AM Friday – Saturday
- $5 Early bird special if in before 9AM and out before 6PM
PARK IT ON MARKET
- $1 per hour
- $10 Flat Rate 6PM – 3AM Friday – Saturday
- $15 Maximum per day